Metro Service Heating and Air Conditioning Safety and Money Saving Tips!

Let's talk about Safety

A semi-annual maintenance plan with Metro Service in Quinlan would be a great line of defense from any safety issues to be caught early and ward off any issues.  

The number one rule you must remember about your gas central unit is you must protect your family from carbon monoxide.

Best Air conditioning Company Quinlan Metro Service

It's simple.  Walmart has a combo smoke and carbon monoxide detector for under $35.  Get one today!  Here's why.

 

Note:  According to the City of Dallas, more than 700 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

How to Detect Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

By Diana Rodriguez

Medically Reviewed by Pat F. Bass, III, MD, MPH

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can seep into your home and be fatal if inhaled in large amounts. Testing the air and installing CO detectors will help keep your family safe.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas that can be fatal if inhaled in large amounts. You can't see or smell carbon monoxide gas, which makes it even more dangerous. Carbon monoxide can infiltrate your home without you ever knowing until symptoms strike.

The longer and more significant a person's exposure to carbon monoxide, the more severe the symptoms can become, ultimately leading to death.

Carbon Monoxide in the Home

A malfunctioning or inappropriately used heating, cooking, or ventilation system in the home can allow leakage of carbon monoxide gas into the air, leaving you breathing toxic gas without knowing it.

Carbon monoxide can come from a number of sources within the home:

Furnace systems and chimneys with leaks

Kerosene heaters

Wood-burning stoves and fireplaces

Gas ranges

Generators

Appliances fueled by gasoline

Gas-fueled space heaters

Fireplaces that aren't vented

Cigarette and pipe smoke

Carbon Monoxide and Your Health

 When carbon monoxide gas contaminates the air, you breathe in more carbon monoxide than oxygen. Once it enters the body, carbon monoxide gets into the blood, where it takes the place of oxygen; this happens most notably in vital organs like the brain and heart, which then become oxygen-deprived.

The first symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

Chest tightness or shortness of breath

Tiredness

Nausea

Confusion

Headaches

Dizziness

How carbon monoxide affects your health depends on the amount of carbon monoxide exposure and on how long the exposure lasts. Carbon monoxide poisoning may cause some of the immediate short-term effects noted above, but it can quickly turn serious, with nausea, vomiting, and loss of muscle coordination coming next. Inhaling high quantities of carbon monoxide can quickly lead to unconsciousness and suffocation.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. CO detectors should be placed near all bedrooms; they’re the only way you will know if carbon monoxide is affecting the air quality in your home, and can help prevent serious illness and even death.

Follow all the manufacturer’s directions, including how often the unit needs replacing, and always make sure there's a UL (Underwriters Laboratories) certification tag on the model you buy. Unfortunately, not all carbon monoxide detectors are 100 percent effective — some brands did well during independent testing, and others didn’t. Investigate models before you buy to choose one that rated highest in tests.

If you experience any carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, even if the detector alarm hasn’t sounded, get everyone out of your house into fresh air immediately.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, using a carbon monoxide detector is only a part of effective prevention. Also be sure all fuel-burning appliances get regular maintenance and are working properly. To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide in your home, follow these tips:

Always open the flue when using a fireplace.

Never leave your car turned on in the garage; for instance, if you warm it up before driving in the winter, do it outside.

Be cautious using wood-burning stoves: Make sure they are certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and that the doors close tightly.

Use appropriate fuel in kerosene heaters.

Keep all gas appliances in your home working properly and inspect them often.

Have your furnace and entire heating system inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.

Never use gasoline-powered machines or charcoal grills indoors.

Quickly repair any leaks in your central heating system.

It's important to take these safety precautions to make sure that you keep carbon monoxide out of your home. Carbon monoxide monitors, used in conjunction with preventive safety tips, can help you keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Source everydayhealth.com

 

More Heath Reasons to Keep Your Central Unit Maintained Properly or Replace if They Are Outdated.

They need to be cleaned properly so they will not be a fire hazard due to dust build-up.

Filters must be changed to limit the chance of the spread of Microorganisms and contaminants...especially in the workplace!  An old filter can aggravate respiratory conditions and even lead to Legionnaires' disease.

metro service best 24 7 Air Conditioner Repair Quinlan

 

CENTRAL AIR UNIT FIRES AND HOW TO PREVENT THEM

Did you know that air conditioning, fans, or related equipment were involved in an estimated 7,400 reported U.S. home structure fires last year? Sadly 29 people died and 249 were sent to the hospital with injuries.

 

Insurance companies sent claims checks out to pay for $207 million in direct property damage from air conditioner fires.

How does this break down?

  • 2,500 per year involving central and room air conditioners
  • 3,900 per year involving fans
  • 500 fires caused by heat pumps

What caused these fires?

It comes down to either a mechanical or electrical failure. Digging deeper, we found that of the AC fires that happened, 33% began with a wire or cable insulation catching fire.

Why does this happen?

  1. Overuse so the equipment heats up.
  2. Not properly maintaining the AC units
  3. Poor electrical wiring

What can we do to prevent air conditioner fires? Let’s take these one at a time:

Overuse so the equipment heats up: Let’s face it: when it’s hot and muggy these poor units get worked 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This can cause units to overheat and break down. What can you do? Since most fires start during the PEAK hours of electrical usage, why not give your AC unit a break during the peak hours your local electrical energy company advises?

Not properly maintaining the AC units: All mechanical and electrical equipment needs regular proper maintenance. Do you have a central AC unit? (By the way, central units cause fewer fires than window units!)

  • Have your AC system maintained by a professional once a year.
  • Change your filter monthly.
  • Make sure that leaves, dirt, debris, and insects haven’t clogged your exterior unit. 
  • SOURCE: Insurance Hub

Fast AC Repair Service Quinlan Metro Service

NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT SAVING MONEY!

An Ounce of Prevention...

Pay attention to your central air unit.  Catching early warnings can save you time and money.  

Do you hear any noises coming from the unit?

Grinding or squeaking noises (or any strange sound) coming from your central air unit should not be ignored.  A new sound could be an alert that you need more lubrication or maybe some bearing are going out.  Taking care of these things immediately can deter more AND more expensive repairs!

Can you smell any strange odors?

Foul smells could mean several things.  One could be that the insulation around your wiring has burned out.  Or.. it could be mold.  Either issue should be addressed immediately.  Putting repairs off can lead to more expensive fixes.

Does there seem to be poor air flow?  Or, the air isn't as cool as usual?

This could be a couple of different issues.  One could be that your air compressor is not working properly.  Or, your unit Freon level could be low... or there could be problems with your duct work. Most any problem causing these issues is making your system work harder and costing you more money to stay cool or warm. Metro Service Heating and Air Conditioning in Quinlan is here to help!

Did you find moisture build-up where there shouldn't be any?

This is a must fix right away.  Not only is this a definitely problem with the unit, you could have some standing water that could be damaging the structure of your house and could be a source of mold and mildew.

Metro Service is a phone call away.  903-356-2248

These are things that Metro Service Heating and Air Conditioning can help you with.  What might be a minor repair today could be more costly by putting it off!  We will do all we can to correct any issues you have with your system, but as new units become available, they are so much more cost efficient than older models.  If your unit is older, you might want to look at the option of purchasing a new and improved central unit.

Contact us today!

Metro Service Quinlan Fast Ac Repair Company

 

 

Additional Articles

Metro Service Heat and Air Conditioning ~ Serving Quinlan, Hunt, Rockwall, Kaufman, and Van Zandt Counities for over 25 years!


Looking for the Top AC Repair in Quinlan?

Contact Us Today!

ADDRESS
Metro Service Air Conditioning and Heating
2697 E Quinlan Parkway
Quinlan, TX 75474
United States

PHONE
903-356-2248

EMAIL
chaney2660@yahoo.com